Education Legal services for Families, in particular, Special Educational Needs & Disability
Education Lawyers

How we help

Our specialist lawyers are experts in all aspects of education law. We focus on special educational needs and disability. This page explains how we can help you through the SEND legal process.

If your child has special educational needs, the law is there to ensure they are supported. We know this process can be extremely stressful. Even if the process goes relatively smoothly, it can be lengthy and time-consuming. Additionally, it doesn’t happen in a vacuum; you are also parenting your child and their siblings. You may also have a full or part-time paid job as well, which means you have even less time available to navigate the special educational needs process.

Parents shouldn’t have to become experts in SEND and equalities law, but this is what many have had to do to secure the right help for their child. But when time is not on your side, we can help by taking the struggle off your hands, providing you with the legal expertise you need.

How we can help

Let us help you through the SEND legal process

While the law is clear, unfortunately, local authorities sometimes do not stick to it. On top of this, local SEND policy and the services locally available, may not be adequate for your child or legally compliant. This is where our expertise and experience is invaluable. We can also offer staged payments.

We can navigate the process from start to finish, give advice where needed, or of course, step in to represent your child’s interests if you encounter difficulties.

We can represent your interests in the following circumstances:

  • Refusal to carry out a statutory assessment
  • Refusal to make an Education, Health and Care Plan (also known as an EHC Plan or EHCP)
  • You are not happy with the EHC plan that the local authority has drafted
  • You would like us to check through your child’s draft EHCP and advise on amendments to ensure it meets needs and is legally compliant
  • The EHCP following your child’s annual review is unsatisfactory or the review has not taken place in a timely manner
  • The provision stated in your child’s Education, Health and Care Plan are not being carried out (judicial review)
  • You are seeking a judicial review against decision-making or procedures by the local authority in education matters
  • Your child has experienced disability discrimination in education
  • Your child has been excluded
  • You want to complain to the Local Government Ombudsman about how the local authority has handled your complaints about your child’s education
  • You need help to find the right educational placement

Our team are well-known for negotiating successfully with local authorities, meaning you may not end up having to go to a Tribunal hearing at all.

Take a look at the different ways we can help from the categories to the left (or below, on mobile) and get in touch

Legal Aid

Unfortunately, we are not covered by Legal Aid. You may be able to get free and confidential advice from Civil Legal Advice (CLA) as part of legal aid if you’re in England or Wales. We have prepared a page with more information to help you here.

Email us

Request a call-back